Prologue

 



It happened in early June ──


On a rainy day when the hydrangeas were welcoming their peak viewing season.


"...Sotome-san?"


After school, on my way home from the supermarket with ingredients for dinner, I saw a classmate sitting alone on a bench in the nearby park without an umbrella.


Her name is Sotome Aoi, a famous beauty in our school.


She often skips classes and is rarely seen on school. Coupled with her eye-catching golden long hair, various negative rumours about her circulate. She emits an aura that makes it difficult for people to approach her, giving the impression of a proud and aloof girl.


Her classmates keep their distance from her, leaving her always alone at school.


Although Sotome and I graduated from the same middle school, our classes were quite far apart, so we had no interactions. I didn't even know we went to same high school until we were in the same classroom.


"..."


Faced with this unusual situation, I hesitated for a moment about whether I should strike up a conversation with her. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even talk to her at school, let alone on the streets.


For an ordinary high school student like me, someone like Sotome is like a person from a different world. Though I wouldn't say it out loud, when faced with someone exuding an unapproachable aura, it's just impossible to talk without hesitation.


However, seeing her lonely figure in such heavy rain, I couldn't help but want to check on her.


"Are you ok, Sotome-san?"


Summoning my courage, I offered her my umbrella and asked.





After noticing me, Sotome looked up at my face and murmured in a soft voice, almost drowned out by the rain.


"...Akamori-san?"


Her eyes seemed somewhat moist. Was it because of the continuous rain?


"What are you doing here?"


"Nothing, just idling around..."


From her expression, I couldn't discern any emotions.


"You'll catch a cold if you stay here like this."


"I'm fine, leave me alone."


Her cold tone made me step back a bit, but I couldn't just turn around and go home in this situation.


"The rain is so heavy. Shouldn't you hurry back home?"


Looking carefully in the darkness, I noticed her school uniform was not only soaked by rain but also dirty all over. It was also quite wrinkled, as if she had been wearing the same clothes for days.


Sotome remained silent for a while, muttering to herself as if talking to no one.


"...I have no place to go."


This unexpected statement made me wonder if I misheard.


"What do you mean by having no place to go?"


"..."


Sotome didn't answer and simply kept her lips tightly sealed.


It's evident that there's a hidden reason behind all this, no doubt about it.


No, from the beginning, I believed there must be a reason for this situation.


This girl, Sotome, the blonde beauty with a reputation for negative rumours, sitting in the rain without an umbrella, at this time, in this park... It's clear that there's something she can't reveal to others.


However, I never expected to receive this kind of answer.


What should I say to her?


While I was contemplating in my mind, my mouth spoke before I could think.


"If you don't mind, would you like to come to my place?"


"Huh...?"


Looking back on it now, I can't believe I actually said something like that.


Once you get involved, it's evident that you'll be dragged into trouble.


She and I are not even close friends, so there's no need for me to intervene in her affairs.


I knew all this, but I couldn't just leave the lonely blonde beauty, whom I would never speak to under normal circumstances, alone in this situation. Perhaps it was because... seeing her loneliness reminded me of a certain girl's figure.


Uncovering long-forgotten memories, the image of a little girl standing alone emerged...


It was my first love memory from kindergarten...


"You can't stay here forever, right? Although I don't know what happened, I think you should find a place to take shelter from the wind and rain and think it over."


Although Sotome remained expressionless, a look of surprise appeared in her eyes.


After a while, her expression finally changed.


"...Can I really?"


She looked at me with a mixture of sadness and confusion.


Seeing her expression brought back my nearly forgotten memories.


Yes... that girl often had the same expression.


"Of course, if you don't mind, Sotome-san."


"Thank you."


"Well then, let's go."


We walked side by side, sharing the umbrella, and left the park.


And so, I "brought home" the lonely girl from my class.




(If you like this novel, please go to novelupdate and recommend it as well as leave a review to it.)


Previous  Index  Next

Comments

  1. I've looking for something like this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Husband and Wife Passes by each other